Friday, December 21, 2012

The Final Post...Someone Give Me a Kleenex

The time has come, you guys.

It's the end of the project.

(nobody say anything about how I'm going to continue these guitar shenanigans - it will ruin the moment)

(wails of sorrow from the studio audience)

(everyone is wearing black)

(it's super sad)

(Laurent is laid down to rest)

(more people cry)

(the sadness is overwhelming over here, folks)

(so anyway)

I'm not too sad about this end, because I'm going to keep playing guitar and trying to achieve a moderate level skill. That is my goal (I refuse to say New Years Resolution so shut your face), and I may or may not stick to it. Either way, I really like blogging, so I'm going to stick to it and blog about my menial life for the five or so people to whom I will whine "DIDJA READ MY BLOG" Barney-from-How-I-Met-Your-Mother-style. Oh, shoutout to the glorious Caitlyn Regan who told me today that she reads my blog!

The things that I learned from this project, if anything, include how to make a blog. I consider that much a success. Mr. Matthys told me that I lost points on my presentation a few days ago because I was self-deprecating and more or less said "I suck so enjoy". While I understand the need for self-confidence and not setting the audience up to expect disappointment, I also have a thing about honesty. A lot of people in that class are great guitarists. If I went up there and said "I'm playing guitar, prepare to have your mind BLOWN", they would all probably want me dead in a ditch someday for shaming the name of Laurent everywhere. It would be the most possible anticlimactic situation I could think of, considering my performance, which I personally feel like everyone will acknowledge was not good. I'm proud of myself, man! I may have little skill that I have achieved, but over this path I have learned a few things. I've learned how to play major chords, I've learned how much steel strings hurt on the finger region, I've learned how to meet new people (just carry around a really nice guitar and they'll all ask to play it), and I've learned a little something about self-confidence. I've also learned that I will probably never get into Wind Ensemble, but that's a flute problem. And I will get over it, I'm sure. And, you know, deny my fate by practicing for two hours every day until my mandible falls off. Because that's the kind of person that I am trying to be.

Either way, it's been fun. I'm off to England now (MLIA). But I'll be back, like the terminator. And I will master Laurent and all he has to offer. Besides, I would much rather keep him and learn him than give him back to Hannah, where he will sit in the corner and make her look worldly and exotic.

toodles, y'all.

No comments:

Post a Comment